Chickpeas, sometimes referred to as garbanzo beans, are an incredible source of many nutrients: folic acid, fiber, iron, zinc and magnesium, to name a few. As a good source of fiber and extremely low in fat, chickpeas can also help lower cholesterol and improve blood sugar levels.
Sounds pretty incredible, right?!
Now just toss in a few seasonings and bake them and you have quite possibly the simplest, best tasting side dish or snack food!
Yeast-Free Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 T olive or coconut oil
- 1 T ground cumin
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t chili powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 dash crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the oil, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, sea salt, black pepper and red pepper together.
- Add the chickpeas to mixture and toss to coat.
- Spread a single layer of seasoned chickpeas on a baking sheet.
- Roast in the preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned and lightly crisped, for about 45 minutes.
*Yields about 2 cups (4 servings)
Per serving: 153 calories, 8 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol