Top 5 Heart Health Exercises
With heart disease being the number one killer in both men and women in the United States, itís important to keep in mind all the different factors that go into keeping your heart strong and healthy.
Of course, taking your supplements regularly and eating a clean diet are two of the main constituents to building that healthy heart, but exercise, specifically cardiovascular exercise, is one of the most important.
Here are our top 5 heart health exercises that you can start doing TODAY:
1. Brisk Walking: Whether you prefer to run outside on a track or on a treadmill, get your heart rate up for at least 20 to 30 minutes per day.
2. Running: Although it does take a little more effort than walking, running is another heart-healthy exercise that the body was built to do. Since running also burns calories, itís a win/win for those trying to shed a few pounds and maintain a healthy heart!
3. Swimming: Swimming is yet another exercise that gets your heart muscles pumping. Sure, itís nice to lay around on your favorite float soaking up good olí vitamin D, but take advantage of the water exercises at your fingertips and swim a few laps! Swimming is known for working just about every muscle in the body so youíll also be toning your muscles!
4. Cycling: You can cycle alone at the gym, join a spin class or even bike outdoors to get your heart pumping and your blood flowing. If your local store is right around the corner, try riding your bike instead of driving. When you cycle, you work your legs and core, especially for those interested in off-road biking.
5. Circuit Training: Sure circuit and strength training are known for toning up your muscles, but when you do more reps with lighter weights at a quicker pace, your heart will get good exercise as well!
Start today by taking the stairs rather than using the elevator or escalator. Take a walk during your lunch break. You can even park further away from the door when you go to and from work. These tiny changes in your daily routine can amount to a better, healthier heart!