"Where do you go for gluten-free ideas?"
I get asked this question all the time. People want to know what my favorite gluten-free website is, what books I read, where I find recipes, and so on.
The truth is, I don’t have one.
On the whole, I have been under-whelmed by a lot of “gluten-free” recipes and cookbooks. Many recipes are exactly the same as normal recipes except they say to use “gluten-free breadcrumbs” or “gluten-free flour”. I think I could have figured that out!
What I look for, instead, is information on how to be naturally gluten-free without having to use all the gluten-free substitute products.
Why? Two main reasons:
- All the gluten-free substitution products can be very expensive, especially when you're cooking that way for your entire family.
- The glycemic index (or carbohydrate load) can actually be higher than their gluten-containing counterparts. This means you could actually gain weight (or at least not lose it) or your blood sugar could go up from using the gluten-free substitution products.
So, what do I prefer? I strongly encourage the paleo diet. Here are a few reasons why:
- You can find a ton of great resources. (I’ve listed a few favorites below.)
- It's affordable on any budget (You don’t have to buy everything organic, free range and grassfed like they talk about – just try to do the best you can.)
- It consists of very few processed foods so you don't have to sift through big, long ingredient lists.
- The paleo diet is automatically gluten-free.
- It excludes a few food products that a gluten-free diet does not, such as dairy, which can also be bothersome to someone with food intolerances.
What is the Paleo diet? Basically it is a diet that revolves around whole foods like meats, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. All of these are not only gluten-free, but are naturally grain-free, as well Because some people with gluten intolerance react to other grains, too, I've found it to be a good fit for most of my patients. Also, as I mentioned above, it is dairy-free, as well, which could eliminate any other sensitivities you may be experiencing.
And finally, here are a few of my top go-to paleo/gluten-free websites:
Here are a few of my favorite paleo/gluten-free books:
Have you followed a gluten-free diet for a while now with little to no relief in your symptoms? If so, try the paleo diet and see if that might help you.
Questions about gluten-free or paleo diets? Ask me below!