A very special week!
Posted by Physician's Preference on 1/29/2013
If you began the yeast-free eating program with the YFWM team on January 14th, you are well aware that this week is very special. You get to add fruit and butter to your diet, of course, in moderation! For many, eliminating fruit for the first two weeks is one of the toughest stipulations while on the yeast-free eating program.
After two weeks of no fruit, an apple will taste like candy! Just remember, there are certain fruits that are to be avoided as they contain high amounts of sugar. If you are doing the yeast-free diet strictly, you will want to avoid the following:
Bananas, cranberries, dates, figs. fruit juices, grapes, guava, kumquat, mango, papaya, pineapple, prunes, raisins, and watermelon.
But think about what you can have! Apples, apricots, blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, grapefruit, honeydew, kiwi, lemon, lime, nectarine, oranges, peaches, pears, plums, raspberries, strawberries, and tangerines.
If you're mouth isn't watering already, perhaps these sweet treats will do the trick:
Baked Cinnamon Walnut Apples*
- 4 apples
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. natural vanilla extract
- ½ cup water
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Core and pierce apple with a fork in several places around the center to prevent it from bursting.
- Mix nuts, cinnamon, and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Fill center of each apple with this mixture.
- Place in glass baking dish and add water to the pan. Cover with foil and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until tender.
And our all time favorite: the yeast-free protein shake:
- 1 scoop Chocolate or Vanilla Whey Protein Powder (we like Jay Robb)
- 2 Tbsp. natural peanut butter
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, chocolate or vanilla
- 5-6 ice cubes (can be adjusted for desired thickness)
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 6-8 fresh strawberries
In a blender, mix all ingredients listed above. Add enough ice to meet your preference for thickness.
Optional: Change up the flavor by adding vanilla extract, almond extract, or ground cinnamon to taste
We hope you enjoy adding fruit to your day this week. For many of us, this is the most exciting part of the diet!
You're two weeks in! Give yourself a big pat on the back...we're halfway done!
Your Yeast-Free with Me team